So, the slime boss in the sewers and the I think hunt boss in the fire cavern are both AoE melters.
It feels a bit unfair when up til now my tanky, taunting Gully has more or less successfully been able to concentrate roughly 80% of attacks onto herself for the party. the other 20 % would be forth attacks that slipped by and the odd AoE attack flung at her that got everyone.
Also, the sheer amount of damage both of them could whip out, hitting everyone in the party at once, was at least twice to three times the damage normal enemies hit one of my party members with before this.
If we aren’t supposed to be able to realistically take on these challenges until we’re higher level, then maybe they shouldn’t unlock until higher level, but it seems to me to be a scaling issue, these guys just do way too much damage and way too much of it in Area attacks.
For comparison, the Slime Clones in the sewer on the way to the boss were tough but fair taken on one at a time, and a tough challenge leaving my party injured after the fight if I took on two at once. they seemed to be a fair challenge going in, so the boss flat decimating my crew in three turns [and his heal debuff being unpurgable] seemed more than a little over the top.
Maybe more like way unfairly over the top.
I like a good challenge in my games, but this is ridiculous. Up til I got to these two bosses, I was enjoying the beta thoroughly. after two such encounters in a row, I’m taking a step back. oh, and the gold loss on defeat is way, way, WAY too high. Those two lost fights in a row cost me 550 gold loss and that’s unacceptable for a game where you only pick up single digits worth of gold per fight and treasure opened.
Also, someone else noted the problem of benched party members getting zero XP, I have to agree this is a major issue. I reached Knowlan at level 10, and he was level nine. Since Gully is set up to be my parties’ tank, she had to stay, but Knowlan couldn’t heal as fast as Calibretto unless I was willing to burn into his Blue mana stocks, and he can’t deal damage like Garrison for the same reason.
I would like to request that the game automatically level up new party members as they are found to the parties level if they are over the expected level when found, and benched party members should at least get 50-75% XP so that eventually they might find a place in your party without merely taking them into old dungeons for replaying just to get them some experience.