Working with Unity we’ve made some significant breakthroughs and are now confident we’ll have a build ready to submit to Nintendo very soon. Performance is looking good and many significant bugs have been resolved. The light is at the end of the tunnel!
We know many of you are anticipating this version of the game the most, so we’ll try and be as transparent as we can regarding the process to launch. Here’s how it’ll go:
- The build goes through THQNordic QA testing to prep for submission. We’re close to starting this process.
- Once approved internally, the build will go to Nintendo for certification. This step can take about 10 days.
- After approval by Nintendo, the game goes “gold” and THQNordic begins manufacturing and distributing the game. This is the longest phase, since it involves making the physical copies and getting them to store shelves for launch, and can take 6 weeks. We must release both physical and digital on the same day – so as soon as we can get it on the shelf, it’ll be fully launched.
Regarding an official release date, that’ll come once the game is in Nintendo’s hands and we have a bead on how it’s doing in certification.
Waiting is no fun, but the silver lining is that this version of the game will have numerous balance tweaks, bug fixes and general polish items incorporated right from the start. Many of these are live on the shipped platforms, but a few more important changes are planned that’ll be in for Switch launch (and the other platforms). Here are some of those:
- Further tweaking of the difficulty curve to reduce the need for grinding
- Elimination of level requirements on items: if you find it or make it, you can use it (this is a big one)
- Significant increase in NG+ difficulty
- The early game is being made slightly more challenging
- Many elite creatures are being rebalanced to address difficulty spikes
- Gold penalty for death is being rebalanced so it’s less punitive early on when gold is scarce, and more punitive late game when gold is plentiful
- …to name a few.
A Note To Our Backers
For those who are opting to wait for the Switch version (which wasn’t a part of the original campaign), remember you aren’t locked in. You can choose any time to get the game now on one of the platforms the Kickstarter campaign was based on.
Our #1 priority is making sure the Switch version is of top quality and worth the wait. We promise the second we have an exact release date, we’ll shout it from the mountain top.
We’re very grateful for our community’s support and patience! Thank you.