Seriously poor levelling progression

Why is it you have to grind up to a level appropriate for a dungeon just to be thrust into a new area 3 levels higher? I spent hours replaying earlier dungeons to complete The Dig only to get into the next area and find myself getting 1 shot by world map mobs. So now i have to go back and grind The Dig again and again?
I’m only seeing the story in 1 cutscene every 5 or so hours. This is horrible progression. Where are the level 14 - 15 mobs? It just jumps form 13 to 16. This is just common sense. I don’t understand how this didn’t come across in testing. I assume anyone creating or testing this game can count so why the missing levels? It makes for an incredibly dull game.

Other than that the art and battle mechanics are 10/10.

Have you been to the arena? Have you done tbe hunts along the way? You have to play each dungeon on all three difficulties anyway to soak it all in. Plus you should be looking in each area you are in as there are side quests and plenty of mobs around to kill. I hit a bad patch around levels 15-17 but pulled through and am currently level 27. There is plenty to do to level if you look around.

You really only need to do the last 2 difficulties, other than the first dungeon I was high enough level to jump right into heroic with little to no difficulty (The Dig and Deadwatch were the only 2 I had any problems with, and it was only with one mob in each. The Berserkers and Hangmen.)

I levelled to 13 to get through The Dig and then immediately am sent to the next area where the mobs are level 17. I have levelled everyone up to 15 over the weekend by doing The Dig on Heroic, Junktown on the hardest but still have immense trouble when facing a trio of mobs on the world map.

I’ve been to the arena and completed the 1st stage, tried the 2nd but can’t complete yet. I’ve been to all the optional areas including The sewers Slime boss and The Red Grave (i think it’s called) and fought every skeleton i could dig up but cannot defeat the boss their yet.

All i can do is tackle The Dig on Heroic again and then hopefully legendary a few times until everyone is at 17.

Boils down to more than 7 hours of play at the weekend just grinding. I’ll admit some of that was trying to fight packs of 17’s as they give more exp but failing.

I too am having this problem. From a game progression stand point, I’ve got Calibretto and Knolan at 11, Gully and Garrison at 12 and Monika at 13. I’ve done Iron Outpost on all 3 difficulties, Fangs on Normal and Heroic, and Junktown on Normal. I’ve died 4 times trying to beat the sewer boss, tried to warp to Junktown again only to get forced into airship encounters, dying again, AND got obliterated in the second room of The Dig.
I really love the game and am willing to grind a bit, like you pretty much have to do on any turn based RPG, but this is a little ridiculous.
Any suggestions on how to gain levels quickly? I’m approaching the 20 hour mark and the last 3+ have been only grinding.

Agree, the whole game is a grind fest. It’s not fun to have to reply dungeons on harder difficulties. It should be optional and not mandatory. This game needs an easy mode that can get you through the story if that’s what you wish to do.
I was hoping the patch would address some of this but no.

as Coren024 said always pick the highest dungeon difficulty if you want to avoid replaying the dungeons. Also why do you keep everyone leveled? it’s obviously gonna require grinding if you want them level up side by side. Choose combination and stick to it atleast until you want to change so you can power level the characters in question later and do it faster.

And griever666 i think you’re playing the wrong game if you are in for the story.

I’m not playing only for the story, but I’d rather have the option to advance the game instead of replaying for level up

@WhiteFang I have to disagree. This game is based off a comic book so good story should be the highest expectation and the slow progression gets in the way of that.
I may try your power levelling only when you find a need for another character combo.

@matttwidale you disagree with me saying you’re playing wrong game if you are in for the story? That was nothing more than a statement how i think about the games story after finishing it and nothing more. (Yes i think it lacks in storyline/character interactions etc.) Nothing wrong with expecting a good story it just that the game heavily relies on combat.(as you may have noticed)

About the multiple dungeon runs to continue the story. The game description did have one “Red flag” about this:
“Action oriented, randomly-generated dungeons loaded with traps, puzzles and secrets. Use each hero’s unique dungeon skills to survive” (from gog storepage)
This is pretty much saying “Yes we’ve dungeons that you have to play multiple times” cause why else would they make random dungeon generator rather than handcrafted ones?

Agreed. This game has procedurally generated dungeons because they are meant to be replayed.

I think the leveling is just fine, personally. I actually find myself leveling faster tjan I’d like because I hate reaching max level and seeing no XP gains in games. I am rapidly approaching lvl 30 and still have two dungeons left.

I don’t know of any dungeon crawlers or RPGs where you don’t have to gain a few extra levels to defeat a challenging boss or gain better gear or some form of “grinding”.

Game was pretty easy for me. I never bother with the first level of dungeons - start with Heroic then replay on Legendary, rinse and repeat for following dungeon. Only tough spot was hangmen at deadwatch. I suggest skipping ‘easy’ mode or whatever that difficulty was called.

I don’t have a problem with the levelling system at all. Nightwar isn’t as long as say a Final Fantasy game and therefore needs to do things slightly differently. Running a dungeon a couple of times is better than spending multiple hours on a world map mindlessly killing everything in sight. Things got a lot easier for me when I crafted legendary gears, enchanting them and organizing my perk trees.

So far i have not had to grind at all, and i am past the levels you are now. True, i did have trouble with the sewer boss and the hangman at first, but i just left those for a bit, continued with other quests and then got back to them. It’s all been pretty streamlined for me and i like it.
You should probably also look into you spec, play style and gear. Perhaps something is not balanced. Have a healer at all times, I always calculate so that when i am fighting mobs, i try to gain back health without spending Mana, so that i when a though enemy is encountered i do not have to backtrack and replenish my resources.
The only thing i have to say about dungeons is that if you do not complete them when you are at that level, the is no point in doing them later, because they do not scale with your level. If the dungeons are meant to be replayed, then they should consider scaling the difficulty and loot with your level.

“You have to play each dungeon on all three difficulties anyway to soak it all in.” I am going to fully disagree here, Sir. I have done all the hunts, side quests, etc, and I also happen to find the leveling progression to be somewhat…lacking. Grinding for exp is a relic from a bygone era when games needed to pad their play times. It deserves to be left in shame and history, where it belongs.

Some games have random dungeon generators to help with replay value. Heck, I can’t think of a single one (outside of THIS game) where this kind of grind is required just to beat the next stage.

Then you didn’t look. Like, at all. Let’s see off the top of my head: Final Fantasy (any) Grandia (any) Suikoden (any) Diablo (any)

Nobody is forcing you to play the game. I haven’t had an issue with it. Maybe you are doing something wrong…

Yes that’s true, some games do have generator for replay(so does this one) but it’s more about the possiblity that some playstyle might require replaying.

But as i said earlier

With that you can totally avoid replaying the dungeons and only killed what was necessary on map to go forward.(now i actually have played the game by running dungeons([EDIT: on Heroic not “hard”] and no NG+)only once[on first playthrough i did play most of them twice because i wanted to also see how different the dungeons could get because of the generator]) Also used portals when i could get closer to objective so “skipped” lot of fights too and tried to take routes with less monsters when possible. Killed everything in dungeons.

How much do you have to grind? Some info how you play would probably would help too if having to replay dungeons has been a thing for you. Do you play dungeons on normal? yea you maybe have to replay the dungeon( No idea, i have never touched the normal dungeon difficulty and don’t know what average monster levels are in them. They probably exists so that you have the easier/longer “road” if you happen to use some not so good combination or bunch of other things why player is not as effective) . So don’t play dungeons on “normal” and do you clear all the rooms in the dungeon?

Having the “problem” of going against 3 level higher monsters in the new map area? Best way to level up faster is kill stuff that is higher level so just go fight them and soon you’re same level. Don’t have the mindset that you can’t kill enemies if you’re not on the same level so let’s go grind. Can’t kill them? USE burst. Don’t save it. Kill enemies one by one from highest threat or lowest health depending on if there are healers and how many enemies etc.

well it can be lot of other things too: Bad combination and/or perk choices? (look if you can choose something better[also whenever you get more points] by dropping some of the low cost ones as you mostly should not have them except if you dont have enough points for anything else). Too low level gear?(try to keep you gear on the highest “level tier” or whatever you wanna call it) probably not but go check the shops for better gear from the blacksmith, collector(Don’t save resources just use them if necessary),craft something or use enchants etc.

If you’re lower level than monsters in dungeon only pull minimum amount of units to you at once in a dungeon until you feel comfortable killing more at once. Anways the idea that you can’t kill stuff in the game if they’re higher level is not a thing.

Yes making questions here that lot of them can be obvious but i’m just guessing here what might be the problem.

Also yea i don’t think the idea was ever play the dungeons more than twice. if you want to play them more go ahead but i wont. thoughts on Grinding? I don’t enjoy it either.

EDIT: Also use your abilities without having full overcharge if necessary when you’re multiple levels lower than enemy. Especially if you’re about to level up with the character, You get full health/mana. Get mana potions if necessary. Just trying to figure out what could be the problem and also trying not to make this much more longer than it already is.

Just running down your post to answer every question I can. Here goes:

Do you play dungeons on normal?

I raise the difficulty of any dungeon I run into so that the challenge is “hard”, that’s about as high as I can succeed at.

do you clear all the rooms in the dungeon?

Yes. I will also run a dungeon as much as I need to in order to get a task done, one other issue I have with this game. I’m looking at you, Bevelros.

Having the “problem” of going against 3 level higher monsters in the new map area? Best way to level up faster is kill stuff that is higher level so just go fight them and soon you’re same level.

This doesn’t help if the monster is EIGHT levels above you and a surprise. Looking at you, Ancient Treasure Fiend.

Can’t kill them? USE burst. Don’t save it. Kill enemies one by one from highest threat or lowest health depending on if there are healers and how many enemies etc.

Didn’t work. He 1-shot the entire party with HIS burst. I think he read your post.

Bad combination and/or perk choices? Maybe I had one healer (Bretto) one tank (Gully) and one DPS (Monika). What do you recommend?

Too low level gear? Best that I could craft/wear/buy from the collector at the time. Always.

If you’re lower level than monsters in dungeon only pull minimum amount of units to you at once in a dungeon until you feel comfortable killing more at once. Anways the idea that you can’t kill stuff in the game if they’re higher level is not a thing.

I try. Sometimes it just doesn’t work that way. Anyways, the idea that you can’t kill stuff in the game if they’re higher level is absolutely a thing. Looking at you, Mana Devourer.

Yes making questions here that lot of them can be obvious but i’m just guessing here what might be the problem.

You’re a poor guesser.