PS4 Issue: Occasional crashes

UPDATE: If you don’t want to read to the bottom, note that the crashes have been greatly reduced, and they shouldn’t ever corrupt your save file now.

Over the past few days, we’ve become aware of an intermittant crash that can happen in the PS4 version of Battle Chasers: Nightwar. We actually first found out about it when reviewers started getting the issue. We’re not sure why yet, but it didn’t show up in QA testing or on our own dev kits in-house. It sounds like the crashes can happen as often as every few hours.

This is something we take very seriously, and we apologize profusely for it. We’re hard at work figuring out what the issue is, and we’ll work on getting a patch together as soon as we can.

If the game crashes in the middle of a save, in rare cases the save game can become corrupted.

Enabling Online Storage can help ensure your saves are backed up. UPDATE: Based on user feedback, it seems like Online Storage will not necessarily work around the issue; the PS4 may just end up writing the corrupted save to Online Storage. If anyone has had success restoring their save after the data corruption using Online Storage, please let us know.

You may want to occasionally backup your save data to a USB device. This post describes how:

We’ll keep you updated as we get more information.

UPDATE:

It seems like the missing or pink video is a precursor to crashing, which you want to avoid because of the risk of save data corruption. If you get a missing or pink video:

• Hold X to skip it.
  • Hit options to pull up the pause menu, and choose “Save and Quit to Main Menu”.
  • Close the game completely: PS button->Options button->Close Application
  • Before restarting the game, if possible backup your save to USB as described above.

It might be a good idea to do this when you reach a good stopping point, as well: before starting or after completing a dungeon, for example.

I know this is a crummy workaround, because it takes a while to load back to where you were. We’re working toward a real fix as fast as we can.

Game crashed and corrupted my save file (PS4)
PlayStation 4 Technical Problem Update

I can’t apologize enough for this issue. We feel terrible about it, and we’re working hard to get it fixed.

For people playing on PS4, I have a few questions I was hoping you would answer to help us identify this issue:

• Are you on a PS4 or PS4 Pro or PS4 Slim?
  • EU or NA?
  • Are you playing from a disc, or from the downloaded game?
  • Do you have the game update installed (1.01)?
  • About how long have you played?
  • How often has the game crashed for you?
  • Have you had your save data get corrupted?
  • How are you backing up your save data?
  • Do you play with spotify running on the ps4, or any other apps in the background?

If anyone has played for more than several hours on PS4 without ever crashing, let us know that, too.

Hello!

I can answer your questions:

1. PS4
  2. Download as I’m waiting for my physical backer copy.
  3. NA
  4. when I check for updates it says no updates are available so I assume its the newest build
  5. I played 6 hrs got to the bar where you find Knolan, fought the gambler and the game corrupted :frowning:
  6. I counted 5 times and each time it came after 1 hr 30mins to 2 hrs
  7. Yes, now I have to start over. Waiting for the patch.
  8. No, no other apps or games are running.
  9. When I went to the inventors house there was a nodule that asked me if I wanted to watch some animations. Nothing happened and the screen went pink for any animation scenes thereafter.

Hope that helps

Hi, cheers for amazing game. Unfortunately have to wait for the fix to continue… Can help with some answers aswell.

• ps4 pro
    -EU
  • Digital version
  • No newer updates available
  • Played around 4 hours. First was pink screen at first dungeon boss cut scene, had to cancel the scene to get forward. After the dungeon, crashed on my way to town while loading battle in world map. Read of others crashing randomly aswell so decided to wait for patch.
  • No save corrupt, loaded world map ok.
  • No apps in background

Hope you get it fixed so we can enjoy it to the fullest. Thanks.

PS4 Pro
NA
Digital - PS Store
Update - unkown
Crash happened at about 3 hours in.
Crashed twice. Once caused total loss of data.
Yes - once
No other apps running at the time of both crashes.

Regular ps4 running firmware 5.0
Eu version
Digital version
Fully updated
Over the course of a roughly 11 hour play through, the game has crashed on me around 8 or 9 times last crash it corrupted my save file
No apps in background.

On top of the crashing issues, I have run in to these additional bugs.

the cutscene in the first dungeon went to a pink screen, no audio was playing. Was able to hold the circle button to get out of it and game continued fine.

In junktown, I ran into an issue after finishing a fight where I couldn’t interact with any object or open the minimal, reloading the game was able to fix the issue

In junktown after the boss fight, the current played with a black screen, but audio played and the subtitles were working.

Also in both junktown and the mines, I found that if I was interacting with an object, like a chest in the mines and after having activated all the sensors in junktown, and then got pulled into a fight, I was unable to interact with the objects and the loot from the objects would not show up in my inventory

The final row of abilities in the battle screen have the bottom 10th of their ui tooltip cut off

Hope this information helps. The game is great, so hopefully you guys can get the bugs patched asap

1. PS4
  2. NA
  3. Download
  4. I believe the game has been patched.
  5. 4 hours
  6. Got a pink screen before the first dungeon boss. Hit skip for the cut scene. Beat the boss. Crashed shortly thereafter. And about an hour later as well.
  7. Still able to play from my game save. But still experiencing crashes. Also noticed that voices became very reverb-y and echoed after crash.
  8. No apps running the in the background.

• PS4 Pro
  • EU
  • Digital version
  • Game time is 9.2 hours.
  • I’d say it have crashed around every two hours

I also experienced the pink screen at first dungeon boss cut scene - I closed the game and then reloaded and it played correctly (although I lost some sweet purple items in the process!).

My first actual crash came when exiting the second dungeon, and I have experienced two more crashes since when trying to enter or exit exploitable areas.

• No corrupt save
  • No apps in background

Are you on a PS4 or PS4 Pro or PS4 Slim? Pro
EU or NA? NA
Are you playing from a disc, or from the downloaded game? disc
Do you have the game update installed (1.01)? yes
About how long have you played? 3 hours
How often has the game crashed for you? once
Have you had your save data get corrupted? yes
Do you play with spotify running on the ps4, or any other apps in the background? no

Are you on a PS4 or PS4 Pro or PS4 Slim?

PS4 Slim

EU or NA?

EU

Are you playing from a disc, or from the downloaded game?

DL

Do you have the game update installed (1.01)?

Don’t know, checked for updates and said I had the last version.

About how long have you played?

Around 4 hours.

How often has the game crashed for you?

Twice. In a fight after I got out of a dungeon if it helps! First time was after the iron dungeon when I was heading back and encountered and enemy. Second time was after the big werewolf dungeon, with the two tribes. Finished it, encountered enemies and crash.

Have you had your save data get corrupted?

Nope

Do you play with spotify running on the ps4, or any other apps in the background?

First time not. Second time was streaming.

Hi,

just encountered a pink screen after I ran towards the first boss battle in the outpost. No sound came out and I waited for about 2 min until I closed the game and reopened it.

• PS4 Pro (PSVR box connected)
  • EU
  • Downloaded version from PS store
  • current version as in the EU PS store
  • played over 3,1h
  • was the 1st crash
  • luckily did not lose my saves
  • no apps were running in the background
    hope this helps you to find the issue.

btw. the game is awesome, was worth backing it and waiting :slight_smile:

1. PS4
  2. NA
  3. Digital Download
  4. yes on 1.01
  5. 8 hours
  6. Has crashed a few times.
  7. Hasn’t corrupted yet.
  8. No apps playing

When i tryn to open the game all i see is black screen.no response no nothing.i didnt even play 1 min.just black screen…
Ps4
EU
Downloaded from store
I have 1.01 patch
And nothing in the background

Playstation Slim
NA
Downloaded game
Fully Updated
10~ hours
Crashes often, every 1-2 hours.
not corrupted but now im afraid to play :frowning:
no other apps running

I skip the end sequence a lot (skip xp gain and loot)
also skip a lot of dialogue - i read fast
if im farming i mash x to go through all the default attacks to end combat quicker
also noticed that when its ‘time’ to crash the combat scenes take a little longer to load than normal
not sure if those matter or not.

PS4
EU
Digital
Yes
5 hours
Twice, first time after leaving the first dungeon, second time after offering to buy arguing bandits a drink at the bar where you find Knolan.
S Also pink screen at first boss cutscene.
No corrupt files yet.
No apps running in background.

PS4

EU or NA?
NA

Download. Still waiting on my copy.

Yes.

A couple hours.

Once

No. Thankfully.

Do you play with spotify running on the ps4, or any other apps in the background?
Nothing running in the background.

More details…
Was about to fight a group of enemies in the first dungeon and the screen went pink.

PS4/NA
I have downloaded version
Has been updated and have about 13 hours in. Game has crashed on me about 6 times. Save has not been corrupted and nothing else in background.

PS4 PRO

EU or NA?
EU

DISC

Not patch installed: Slime Boss in sewers spawns
Patch installed: Slime Boss in sewers won’t spawn and locks up the game except pause button

16 hours

7 or 8 times

No save data corrupted

No other apps in Background

1 trophy won’t unlock (or I read the criteria wrong)
Go On… Kill one of the Beastmaster’s Targets
I presume that are the Hunts from the Beastmaster in town? I did complete the quest and get my reward but no trophy

Are you on a PS4 or PS4 Pro or PS4 Slim? PS4 Pro
EU or NA? NA
Are you playing from a disc, or from the downloaded game? Digital
Do you have the game update installed (1.01)? Yes
About how long have you played? Around 4 hours
How often has the game crashed for you? One time
Have you had your save data get corrupted? Yes
Do you play with spotify running on the ps4, or any other apps in the background? No but I was in a PSN voice chat party, for the sake of putting out all the details.

My screen turned pink during the cutscene right before the first boss. No audio but I was able to skip the cutscene and continue. I moved a step outside the dungeon after beating the boss and what looked like a grey blimp overhead my character came in contact with me and started combat. The game crashed after the battle commencing logo with the skulls appeared and it corrupted my save file.

PS4
EU
Digital
Yes
6 Hours
Twice - One during the loading screen of an overworked encounter
Second was the pink screen of death on my second time before the Iron Outpost boss
cutscene
No corrupt files yet.
No apps running in background.