[Mac] - frame rate issues

Been trying out the Mac version for a couple of hours now and I have a few pointers on the frame rate in different settings of the game.

1. In the overworld it’s very choppy if play on 1920x1080. Regardless of graphic settings. Get a little better when I lowered the resolution. ( as mentioned in this post as well: Choppy Movement on Overworld )

2. Inside a dungeon/explorable area it is also quite choppy, delays on for example Gully’s smash.

3. Inside a fishing area it was almost unplayable… :frowning: The bar that indicates how far the lure will be thrown is rendered in sections of 3 or 4 chunks so to speak. I had perhaps 5-10 fps. (Hard to judge exactly, but it was horrible)

4. But! In combat everything is very smooth :slight_smile: smooth animations and everything.

All these findings are while playing at these settings:

Hopefully this is of some assistance in improving things, if only a little bit :slight_smile: so my evening gaming sessions at the office become a little more enjoyable :wink:

Thanks for the report, @Crayen; we’re sorry to hear performance is so choppy for you.
Could you possibly post your system information according to Steam? It would be on the Steam client, Help > System Information.

Certainly. Although it’s in Swedish. Hopefully you can recognize the values anyways?
Edit: Stöds means Supported

If you rather want it in english I’ll see if I can change languages.

I am on a 2015 Macbook Pro i7 2.8ghz, 16GB DDR3, R9 M370X, playing in 1920x1200 and even at the lowest settings with post processing off it gets very choppy.

In combat the first hit always end freezes for about half a second then everything runs well-ish.

But on my PC everything is smooth

I’m on a brand new iMac (Retina 5k, 27-inch) 4.2GHz i7 with 8GB 2400 MHz DDR4 RAM, Radeon Pro 580 with 8192MB at 5120x2880 and walking around is very choppy.

Here are the details from System Information:

Crayen, looking at your machine, it is running at around our minimum specs. Because Macs run on Unity’s Open GL they will not perform as well as the Windows version at similar hardware specifications. We are looking into our OpenGL compilation to see if there are optimizations that can be made, but at this point the game cannot be reduced much further. Reducing your resolution is currently the best way you have of playing the game smoothly; we apologize for the difficulty.

Hey, pheedsta, thank you for the report!
The resolution you’re running at (5120x2880) is much higher than the most stable tests we’ve run on machines with more powerful hardware (a Windows PC with an i7 6700K and a GTX 1080 can only barely handle 4K using DirectX11). We recommend you lower your resolution by half, if not down to 1920x1080, which is the resolution the game was designed for.
We’re also looking into the default settings set by the game when a user first starts up and trying to select a more suitable resolution in order to avoid inadvertently causing this sort of issue in the future.

Yes I thought that might be the issue :slight_smile: it’s quite old. But with lowered resolution I find it playable enough to still be enjoyable :smile:
The combat runs very smoothly. The only setting that’s a bit rough is the fishing. But I guess that will be tricky to sort for old not-intended-for-gaming machines.
Probably better to put your efforts in more general areas that apply to a larger public :smile:
(I play at my PC at home. Just thought I’d let you know how it was on an old Mac )

Thanks a lot for the feedback, Crayen :slight_smile:

I’ve run into performance issues on my Mac too. It’s a mid-2012 MacBook Pro with a 15" display and I’ve been playing the game in the resolution it’s defaulting to, 1440 x 900. The issues I’ve run into:

• Momentary freeze during the first damage dealt during a battle (usually only once per session)
  • Frame rate drops in areas with a lot of particle effects (i.e. rain, embers from fires)
  • Lag when fishing, makes precise casts difficult
  • Weird lines of flickering on either side of the screen during battles (very intermittent)

Here’s my system info from Steam:

Computer Information:
Manufacturer: Apple
Model: MacBookPro9,1
Form Factor: Laptop
No Touch Input Detected

Processor Information:
CPU Vendor: GenuineIntel
CPU Brand: Intel® Core™ i7-3615QM CPU @ 2.30GHz
CPU Family: 0x6
CPU Model: 0x3a
CPU Stepping: 0x9
CPU Type: 0x0
Speed: 2300 Mhz
8 logical processors
4 physical processors
HyperThreading: Supported
FCMOV: Supported
SSE2: Supported
SSE3: Supported
SSSE3: Supported
SSE4a: Unsupported
SSE41: Supported
SSE42: Supported
AES: Supported
AVX: Supported
CMPXCHG16B: Supported
LAHF/SAHF: Supported
PrefetchW: Unsupported

Operating System Version:
MacOS 10.12.6 (64 bit)

Video Card:
Driver: Intel HD Graphics 4000
Driver Version: 1.2
Driver Date: 0 0 0
OpenGL Version: 2.1
Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Refresh Rate: 0 Hz
VendorID: 0x8086
DeviceID: 0x166
Revision: 0x9
Number of Monitors: 1
Number of Logical Video Cards: 2
Primary Display Resolution: 1440 x 900
Desktop Resolution: 1440 x 900
Primary Display Size: 12.95" x 8.15" (15.28" diag)
32.9cm x 20.7cm (38.8cm diag)
Primary VRAM: 0 MB

Memory:
RAM: 16384 Mb

Miscellaneous:
UI Language: English
Media Type: DVD
Total Hard Disk Space Available: 475766 Mb
Largest Free Hard Disk Block: 207307 Mb
VR Headset: None detected

Thanks for your reply. I have changed the resolution to 1920x1080 and the problem is fixed. The game looks just as good at the lower resolution. Thanks again.

@pheedsta I’m very glad to hear this fixed your issue! Thank you for posting :slight_smile:

@DaveB1980 Good news: we’ve fixed a number of the issues you’re running into. Bad news: sounds like your MacBook is a bit old, and we probably cannot do much about the frame rate drops you’re seeing in areas with a lot of particle effects. If the frame rate drops are making the game unplayable, if your graphics settings are not already set to Low Quality and Post Effects Off, I would try that, and potentially lowering the resolution another step down.

Thanks for the follow-up @ortizgames!

Yeah, I know five years-ish is ancient in the laptop world. The game runs well enough though, the drops aren’t rendering it unplayable. The platform I chose to receive the final game on is Nintendo Switch, so I’m not particularly worried about performance issues in the beta on my Mac. Just make sure it runs great on Switch and I’ll be a happy Kickstarter backer! :smile:

I absolutely love the game though, you guys are knocking it out of the park!